Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

GTNET mail
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: GTNET mail
GTNET mail 10 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 0
Congrats on getting GTPOWER development rights and such... I was GT Sysop here in Chicago, IL in late 1980s (Home Again! BBS)... jumped ship to PCBoard which totally sank into oblivion.

Is there still a GTNET network for exchanging mail??? I used to utilize a sysop mail reader utility called Message Mate Reader or MMR.. is that still around???

QEdit was shareware text editor used by some back in those days. It is still around, now called TSE..

www.semware.com

I remember a Tom Watts... and a Daryl Stout.. good to see you guys here

regards,
William
masterchief
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male wisemasterchief Location: Chicago, IL Birthday: 04/06
Last Edit: 2008/11/13 17:56 By masterchief.Reason: URL correction for TSE
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:GTNET mail 10 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 0
William...

I ran GT Power from 1992 to 2005, then switched first to Synchronet, then to Virtual Advanced to get telnet access. Needless to say, I was thrilled to see that Tom bought the rights to GT, and he is redeveloping it for telnet...so, I can "return to my BBS roots".

From what I understand (I'm one of the beta testers), the first release will be basically cosmetic, to allow telnet access, and a few other things (see the related post from Tom). Subsequent releases may add more things.

To my knowledge, at the moment, Mike Powell is the only one running GT 19...he's doing it under OS/2 Warp...but that's the only way to do it under telnet, until this new version comes out. I've worked like a dog the last few weeks reconfiguring things for the new setup. I don't think there will be many changes in the netmail program setup, at least not right now...but we'll have to see what Tom does on that. I have no idea how we'll handle the echolist and nodelist with the new setup...but I'm amazed I still remember all the GT commands.

Also, you may be thinking of Bill Watts...who ran NetComm BBS in Denver. I don't know if he's any relation to Tom or not.
Wx1der
Senior Boarder
graph
Gender: Male The Thunderbolt A Weather Wonder wx1der wx1der Location: Little Rock, Arkansas Birthday: 03/22
Last Edit: 2008/11/15 04:11 By Wx1der.
Daryl Stout, WX1DER, Sysop
The Thunderbolt BBS, Little Rock, Arkansas
We analyze data, forecasts, and text...
But wonder what weather will happen next.

Re:GTNET mail 10 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 1
No relation to Bill Watts, or Tom Watts.

Thanks,

Tom
Neofree
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2008/11/20 19:31 By Neofree.

Re:GTNET mail 10 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 0
Tom...

OK, I was curious. It's amazing that folks see you have the same surname as they do, and they wonder if you're a distant relative. <G>

In fact, while I'm an officer in the Arkansas State Square Dance Federation, there are at least 2 other couples with the surname of "Stout"...but, to my knowledge, they are no relation.

On another note, no problem with the forum software switch, and I'll be looking forward to the beta release.

Daryl
Wx1der
Senior Boarder
graph
Gender: Male The Thunderbolt A Weather Wonder wx1der wx1der Location: Little Rock, Arkansas Birthday: 03/22

Re:GTNET mail 10 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 1
There will be no reset to the site. I instead updated Joomla, FireBoard and added measures to stop spam bots.

I like the new FireBoard...

Thanks,

Tom
Neofree
graphgraph

Re:GTNET mail 10 Years ago Karma: 0
William,

I ran The Omni Link BBS 011/001 in Whittington, Illinois my HUB was the Engage BBS 011/000 in Mt. Vernon, Illinois, Jerry Hook sysop of that board.

David
Uncle Dave
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Jerry Hook was my GTPower mentor! He was my hub for mail also...
I ran the Home Again! BBS here in Chicago. Jerry was a GTPower superuser...

Does GTNET still exist for mail??? The GTNET software still functioning and available???

Probably more efficient to transfer mail via FTP... so much has changed in 20yrs... omg, has it really been that log ago??? LOL

regards,
William
masterchief
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

William,

I haven't been able to find a new nodelist or anything except in text file archives. I would guess the network would have to be rebuilt from scratch as more people become interested in GT Power.

Thank God I archive my entire system before it shut down. At least my crash.bat and my other operating files are archived and intact.

Any idea when 011/000 went down?

David
Uncle Dave
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

I've had several hubs over the years:

1) The late Jim Rash, of Oaklawn Online in Dallas
2) Rob Roesch, of Hotware BBS
3) Jim Knight of Bluebird BBS
4) Mike Powell of Capitol City Online BBS

Of all of these, only Mike's BBS is still online, and I think the only active GT Power BBS right now (I soon hope to change that, going back to my BBS roots). I have no idea if Rob Roesch or Jim Knight are still around. I got emails awhile back from Bob Clarke of the passing of Jim Wilson and Jack Burnett.

As for 011/000, the last NODEHIST.BBS I have just said "Retired"...no date was given. I still have Echolists, Nodelists, and Node History files, but they are quite a bit out of date. At the moment, I import GT echoes via QWK Networking with Mike Powell, but will soon change that back to GT Netmail/Echomail. It remains to be seen how the network will get rebuit...as noted, I think Mike Powell ended up being the last GT board standing.

Daryl
Wx1der
Senior Boarder
graph
Last Edit: 2008/11/24 16:18 By Wx1der.

no knowledge sorry...

I went the way of PCBoard.. did not keep anything. I never thought this would be happening again.
masterchief
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Daryl,

I used to visit your BBS all the time. I may have even sent you crashmail from time to time.

Those were good ole days...
masterchief
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

I switched to Synchronet in 2006 to add telnet acess, then switched to Virtual Advanced in late 2007. Like many others, I never thought GT would "live again"...but I'm thrilled that Tom has taken it over. I too, wish I had saved all the configurations...it has been a bear to rebuild things.

Daryl
Wx1der
Senior Boarder
graph

Well gentlemen, I suggest with the blessing of Tom. We roll up the sleeves and try to make GT what it was in day.

I for 1 am willing to share any of my batch files that anyone would like to look at, if you give me enough advanced warning to find the right cd.

David
Uncle Dave
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Sorry, I misstated the Net/Node of my old board it was 011/002.
011/001 was MY BBS sysop Lloyd Day. 011/003 Richard Williams Maddog's Madhouse.

I found the archives and there was the nodelist from 04/04/91.

David
Uncle Dave
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:GTNET mail 10 Years ago Karma: 1
Just wanted to follow up on the Netmail stuff.. I am not sure how this is going to turn out. 19.xx should remain compatible with any existing utilities and programs, including GT's netmail software. I do want to continue some sort of networked messaging, but I'm not sure what is the best way to go over the internet. I'm just not going to say one way or another at this time, but compatibility will be maintained in the remaining 19.xx releases.

As for joining the existing network now, I think that may still be possible but I will allow Mike and Daryl continue to operate this as it is for now.

Thanks,

Tom
Neofree
graphgraph

My point was that GT is a very strong and viable program, that was widely used by many. And if we all work together it can be that way again.

If my perception of the intent of this project it wrong, I apologize.

David
Uncle Dave
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Not at all.. I hope the same!

I was just realizing people were talking a lot about netmail and I hadn't said much about it.

Thanks,

Tom
Neofree
graphgraph

where is the netmail software??? ...nodelist.bbs ?????

key activation required????

A careful consideration as to using FTP via perl script for transferring mail might go a long way in expanding GTPN in addition to utilizing the netmail software. IMHO

regards,
William
masterchief
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

In my mind, I see dialup as death wish.. telecon companies are sucking the consumers dry with fees, surcharges, etc... somehow we need to figure out how to use IP addresses in lieu of telephone numbers.. how about the web browser??

I already have website with unlimited data storage, unlimited bandwidth... Yahoo! Small Business WebHosting account, how do you compete with something like that? the worldwide web is what killed the BBS.

just rattling, uncontrolled thought... I like GT very much.
I have no problem setting up traditional GT BBS, hosting with netmail hour and such. I just think we will be hard pressed expecting tons of callers

what is success of active BBS systems right now?

regards,
William
masterchief
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Dial-Up Access 10 Years ago Karma: 0
William...

One of my callers is an elderly lady, who prefers to logon that way, and not have to worry about ISP charges. I do get a dial-up logon, but it's rare.

I originally had BGFAX (now freeware for DOS and OS/2) as the frontend, but then switched to InterMail. Unfortunately, it's now abandonware, and unregisterable as a result...but, I was lucky enough to register my copy of InterMail and the companion tosser, InterEcho. I use InterEcho as a secondary tosser besides the FIDOGate utility for my FIDO echoes. With the frontend, I use the /F parameter in calling GT, where it looks for that frontend interface.

Now, Argus (with the dialup-to-telnet program), is my frontend, which redirects dial-up callers as if they had logged on via telnet in the first place. As a side note, I have never been able to get my Zoom Fax modem to recognize and take faxes as well with Argus...but, I have a separate fax line, which the ADT alarm system is tied into.

I know Tom is wanting to get away from all the extra third party utiliites, but after starting with GT in 1992, and even when I switched to GT 19 when it was released by Paul Meiners in 1994 (I was one of the beta testers back then), these extra programs were "the way it was" to get the extra features. And, until GT gets the extra features with it (which are probably on the "wish list")... the extra programs are my only choice.

As for active BBS systems, at last check, the Telnet BBS Guide (done by David Perussel), showed over 350 telnet BBS's worldwide, and around 50 dial-up. While the dial-up BBS is rare, it does fill a niche...and I hope GT can keep that, if possible. Some of these BBS's get a lot of logons per day...especially if they're in InterBBS games. Others like mine, have their good and bad days (many callers versus very few). But, all BBS's nowadays are basically "a labor of love" by the Sysops that run them.
Wx1der
Senior Boarder
graph
Last Edit: 2008/11/25 17:06 By Wx1der.

Re:Dial-Up Access 10 Years ago Karma: 0
labor of love for sure... you will get no argument from me on that.

I was BGFax user..
Sparky's QWK mail reader distributor... and his QWK mail door. now that was technology never fully realized.

Did you ever use Message Mate Reader, MMR for short...

The most popular door on my system was called 'Legend of The Red Dragon, LORD for short.
masterchief
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Dial-Up Access 10 Years ago Karma: 0
Yeah, I used MMR for a time, but at the moment, I'm using the Multi-Mail QWK reader. I used to use OLX, but it was too memory hungry...and it wasn't even Windows related <G>.

I have one user who plays Trade Wars 2002 religiously...he is addicted to it. I play some of the Sunrise Doors, and play more with L.O.R.D. II now than with the original L.O.R.D.

The BBS is one of the few remaining hobbies I can do, now that I'm fully disabled.
Wx1der
Senior Boarder
graph

masterchief wrote:
Is there still a GTNET network for exchanging mail??? I used to utilize a sysop mail reader utility called Message Mate Reader or MMR.. is that still around???

Yes, there is still a GTNET network, but it is not very large, and there is not much traffic. I have it available via the GT G-bags, and also via QWK mail. All of the network connections are done over the Internet. I exchange QWK network packets with Daryl via e-mail (automated), but also have an ftp method available.

I can still handle dial-up network calls, but the Internet "calls" do not require a network key. They only require a way to handle the packet type in question.

You can telnet to my board at cco.ath.cx.

MMR is still available, although it is no longer author-supported. I still use it to read the mail on my GT system.
Michael
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2008/11/25 21:05 By Michael.

If anyone is interested in the older utilities cALMER, ozware. etc. I found my back up files.

David
Uncle Dave
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

> If anyone is interested in the older utilities cALMER,
>ozware. etc. I found my back up files.

I've got them as well...but I don't think there's any way to register or get updates for them anymore, even though they were freeware. The Greeting program has a Y2K bug in the date (shows as 19108 instead of 2008), but otherwise, it works fine.
I also have several of the older GT utilities in my files area.
Wx1der
Senior Boarder
graph

Can you direct me to finding copy of MMR that is fully functional???

would be interested in obtaining complete source for this software if it available.

regards,
William
masterchief
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

William,

The one I have is MMR-232. If that would help.
I could do a file attach in yahoo if you have a yahoo account.

David
Uncle Dave
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Is that going to be fully functional?

I would like very very much, YES!

MMR received via email.
masterchief
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2008/11/26 18:13 By masterchief.Reason: removed email address

For MMR, you are going to want the version of version 2.61 that has the Y2K patch applied. I can't remember, but I am not sure that 2.53 will even work with GT 19.

I do have a copy of 2.61-Y2K, but I am not sure that it is "fully functional" without registration, which is no longer available.

The source was never available, to my knowledge. The author, Harry Green, might still have a copy, though.

Someone with a HEX editor who knows what they are doing might be able to fix GREETING and other programs for Y2K. That is what was done with MMR and a couple of other GT companions.
Michael
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2008/11/26 21:42 By Michael.

still waiting for answer where to get the GT netmail suite of software???

Is it still available or what??

regards,
William
masterchief
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

William...

The netmail programs were proprietary, and had a special password issued with them, as the archive was intentionally garbled. As I recall, you had to also enter your registration key string when you registered GT to activate the programs. Since GT will be freeware for non-commercial use, that changes everything regarding the netmail programs...at least from what I can see...Tom can correct me if I'm wrong.

Mike Powell is the only system that I know of that is actively running GT Power right now (GT 19 under OS/2), and I exchange echoes with him via QWK Networking.

With Tom having taken over the software, I'm really not sure how he wants to handle things regarding the netmail and echomail programs. Y2K fixes were issued for them awhile back by Dennis Berry, and Tom bought the rights from him.

While the files are in the GT Sysops files area on my BBS, I don't feel at liberty to give out the special password to them...at least not until we see how things will play out.

The GTPN Network is a barebones skeleton compared to what it once was. To my knowledge, Mike has been keeping the nodelist, node history, and echolist going...and that's another can of worms we'll have to consider once Tom releases GT. Once we see how that'll work out, I can assist in setups there. Besides, I need to do likewise with it on my system, and I'm still working on redoing things...I wish I had kept all the old batchfiles, etc.

Since the netmail software runs during maintenence, I don't think there's need for a fossil driver for it. The only version of GT I'm aware of that had a fossil was way back with version 15.50 -- the first version I had registered when I joined the network in May, 1992.
Wx1der
Senior Boarder
graph

wx1der

I stored my batch file for gt 16.00 and still have them.

If it would help I could send them to you and you could modify them for your system.

And you are right, the only way you could get the netmail suite was through registration with Paul back them. the netmail suite and the program to unscramble were propitiatory.

If I remember right the CRC to access the Net Mail system was generated at the Hub or Regional level.
Uncle Dave
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Thank you for your reply good sir... Jerry Hook Sysop of 'The Engage' was my hub and assisted me insetting everything up back in the day.. I am familiar with the passwords and all of that

I would not ask for your password for anything. QWK is more than adequate for networking.... back in the day it sometimes took close to an hour to transfer a Meg of data via modem. current technology presents multitude of options for all of that..

I like Perl and FTP, perhaps password protecting of mail packets or even a CRC issued to a node for that purpose. Dont really need netmail programs at this point.

IMHO

...sorry to hear of your disability

I retired from us navy summer of 1993... 21yrs service

so.. I currently work at state univ supervising maintenance department.

I am sitting up here in Chicago, as a hobby now involved in 2d3d animation, vfx and compositing, digital photography.. just purchased an 8-port KVM for a render farm. still need to get computers.. LOL

I am game to contribute what I can.

regards,
William
masterchief
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2008/11/27 01:01 By masterchief.

masterchief wrote:
Thank you for your reply good sir... Jerry Hook Sysop of 'The Engage' was my hub and assisted me insetting everything up back in the day.. I am familiar with the passwords and all of that

I would not ask for your password for anything. QWK is more than adequate for networking.... back in the day it sometimes took close to an hour to transfer a Meg of data via modem. current technology presents multitude of options for all of that..

What version did you last run (registered)? Do you still have the network software you used then?

I run the GT Network hub. Although I can still accept inbound MDRIVer calls, all of the network connections are currently done over the Internet, either via e-mail attaches or ftp. I still have at least one sysop that I G-bag for, but I also exchange GT Net QWK packets, too.
Michael
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Uncle Dave wrote:
If I remember right the CRC to access the Net Mail system was generated at the Hub or Regional level.

At some point, Paul did away with them, sort of. You no longer needed one to sponsor an echo, and you no longer needed one for the Netmail Suite. Rather, the first time MDRIVer ran, you would input your net/node number. Somehow, I guess it calculated the CRC internally.

So, you only needed the netmail coordinator or local hub to issue you a valid net/node number.

The only GT program that I have that still requires a command-line CRC is the GT1900A.EXE file itself.

on edit: When you input your net/node number, you also had to input your GT registration key... that was what replaced the network CRC. I forgot that part.
Michael
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2008/11/27 02:36 By Michael.

Uncle Dave wrote:
wx1der

I stored my batch file for gt 16.00 and still have them.

If it would help I could send them to you and you could modify them for your system.

And you are right, the only way you could get the netmail suite was through registration with Paul back them. the netmail suite and the program to unscramble were propitiatory.

Thanks for the offer, but I was running GT 19 at the time when I switched...I did run it for 13 years, though. I just have to rebuild them. It's not difficult, just tedious.

As noted, I'm going to wait and see what Tom wants to do on that. Right now, I'm exchanging GT Echoes with Mike Powell via QWK Networking. However, we pass the bags between us via Internet Rex. I doubt that a "dial-up GT crashmail run" is even done anymore.
Wx1der
Senior Boarder
graph

How is this QWK networking done? Are you doing it automatically or manually?

Thanks,

Tom
Neofree
graphgraph

Neofree wrote:
How is this QWK networking done? Are you doing it automatically or manually?

Tom,
I am doing it automatically on this end using one of two GT companion programs. If I am creating the QWK packets, and accepting REPs from the node, I use the PDQWK door in command-line mode. If I am doing the opposite (which I only do if the other system can't make REP packets), I use a command-line program called BGNET.

PDQWK is the easiest, and the preferred method for me.

I've attempted a few times to use the internal GTNET QWK networking, but it is cumbersome to set up and wasn't too reliable. With PDQWK available as an option, I didn't try too hard to get the GTNET working. I was a beta tester for Paul back when 19.00 was being worked on. IIRC, the built-in QWK networking was sort of added-on towards the end, and was going to be enhanced for better usability "in the next release."

As for the transport of the QWK/REP packets, I use a program called Internet REX. It is meant for automated FIDO transfers over the internet, but you can use the "mailbox directory" option for a node and place whatever you want sent (a QWK packet, or a GT G-bag) in that directory.

I use Internet REX to exchange mail via e-mail and ftp.

Once I get it all set up and working for a connection, I rarely have to worry about it.
Michael
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2008/12/01 21:13 By Michael.

OK. Perhaps he was planning on using this to replace the old way? Not sure. I am thinking making QWK networking the same way DoveNet for Synchronet works may be the way to go...

For those that are not familiar... Synchronet has it's own TCP/IP support. And all the Sysops of DoveNet telnet into the main system automatically and exchange QWK/REP packets. This is done by each system connecting to the main Synchronet system and performming a log in that skips the normal log in process (because it's a QWK account for this purpose) and goes straight into exchanging packets. This method eliminates the need for any additional software to exchange packets.

Will be some time before I am ready for this though. Got a lot of basics to cover first. (Such as porting it to Windows, and including native Telnet support.)

Thanks,

Tom
Neofree
graphgraph

If you mean "do I think Paul was thinking of using QWK networking to replace the GT Networking (MBAG/MDRIVer/MDIST)?", my answer would be a big N-O.

There are at least three reasons I am pretty certain he didn't. The first is somewhat my opinion, but the second & third I am certain of.

(1) Replacing the GT Netmail Suite with QWK networking would have closed the door on any control Paul had over who participated. Paul didn't care too much if a sysop shared an echo they sponsored/moderated with a non-GT BBS, or if they bridged such an echo, but I am pretty sure he did not want non-registered (i.e. non-paying) GT sysops to be able to participate fully in the network without registering the software and getting the Netmail Suite password.

(2) The main reason I can remember that Paul stated he wanted his own Netmail Suite (and GT Network) was that he was dissatisfied with the way FIDO networking worked. GT Networking allows for fully-moderated echomail. FIDO, and QWK, do not. Messages on a FIDO or QWK network can make it from one subscribed board to another before making it to the moderator's/sponsor's board. Messages on a GT network have to make it back to the moderator's board before they can be bagged and echoed back out to the network, allowing the moderator to remove inappropriate messages. Not only would Paul not have liked that, I can remember other GT sysops showing concern about echo networks that didn't allow for full moderation.

(3) QWK networking does not really allow for routed node-to-node netmail, private mail, or encrypted messages.

I am pretty sure he didn't mean for it to be a replacement in that regard. I do believe he meant for it to be a way to allow GT sysops to participate in other networks.
Michael
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Hi, Mike...

Michael wrote:

(1) Replacing the GT Netmail Suite with QWK networking would have closed the door on any control Paul had over who participated. Paul didn't care too much if a sysop shared an echo they sponsored/moderated with a non-GT BBS, or if they bridged such an echo, but I am pretty sure he did not want non-registered (i.e. non-paying) GT sysops to be able to participate fully in the network without registering the software and getting the Netmail Suite password.

Agreed. I thought for all GT had, it was a bargain for $50. My first registered copy was 15.50.

(2) The main reason I can remember that Paul stated he wanted his own Netmail Suite (and GT Network) was that he was dissatisfied with the way FIDO networking worked. GT Networking allows for fully-moderated echomail. FIDO, and QWK, do not. Messages on a FIDO or QWK network can make it from one subscribed board to another before making it to the moderator's/sponsor's board. Messages on a GT network have to make it back to the moderator's board before they can be bagged and echoed back out to the network, allowing the moderator to remove inappropriate messages. Not only would Paul not have liked that, I can remember other GT sysops showing concern about echo networks that didn't allow for full moderation.

That's one feature I really have liked about GT. And, with a supplemental freeware utility called Spotkill, one could remove any future messages from any of these people before they got bagged.

I am pretty sure he didn't mean for it to be a replacement in that regard. I do believe he meant for it to be a way to allow GT sysops to participate in other networks.

I think so, too. I used BGNET in the past as well on some things, but since most of my other networks are FIDO related, I use the GEcho utility I got from former GT Sysop Bill Watts, as my tosser, besides the FIDOGate Utility.

Tom, please forgive me again for mentioning these "third party utilities", but it was the only way I could really do what I wanted with GT. I too, was a beta tester for GT 19, as Mike was.
Wx1der
Senior Boarder
graph

Re:GTNET mail 9 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0
Boy, all that brings back memories to me.
Eric
GTPower 009/011
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
ICQ#: 423608534 Gender: Male KBTH8436 KBTH8436 KBTH8436 Location: Mesa, Az

Re:GTNET mail 9 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
Wow--this is certainly bringing back memories. I had no idea GT was still around. I came across the GT Power Wiki by accident looking for an old nodelist (to try to remember names to potentially search for friends for Facebook), and found a reference to this site.

I used to write a handful of utilities that were used by GT Power sysops. I recognize some of your names on the board.

I believe the first program I wrote for it was something called BGTOP. It was first written in some version of QuickBasic, and later rewritten in Turbo Pascal. There were a whole lot of other minor utilities, but my first big "hit" was BGQWK. The QWK mail door that allowed users to download messages and read them offline. I transferred ownership of that program to some guys in the UK, and I think they kept it alive as PDQWK. BGFAX was of course the giant hit, that sysops of all different kinds of BBS's, not just GT Power, began to use. BGFAX was able to help me pay for my first car and get me through college back in the mid 1990's.

There was the set of utilities I wrote that let GT Power connect to the RelayNet or RIME network. BGUTI, I think it was called, for the RIME "Universal Text Interface". I can't even member what most of my other programs did. I think there was something called BGSPY, too. It wasn't very popular, but it let people snoop in on other people's netmails that were passing through your system as a relay.

I saw people mention BGNET earlier in the thread. I honestly can't remember what it did. I guess it was maybe an MDRIVER replacement, but can't say for sure.

All of these programs would have been written in Turbo Pascal.

I can't remember the last version of GT that I used. I think it was probably 17.x or 18.x. I'm pretty certain I never used 19.x. I started getting heavy into FidoNET towards the later part of my BBS days and used Intermail for a while.

My BBS was shutdown sometime in the late 1990's when I got married and moved out of my parents house. Those computers were never again connected to telephone lines, and I've lost track of where all the modems went.

I had lots of modems. I recall being a beta tester for Supra, US Robotics, and ZyXEL. I even had a BBS running on an ISDN dial-up for a while with the US Robotics I-Modem and the ZyXEL.

I ran OS/2 for a while and had the BBS running on that. I believe there was a short period of time where people could actually telnet to bgfax.com to login to my BBS, but it was very expensive to have an always-on internet connection back then, so I pulled the plug on that after a while.

I think in the old days I had 3, 4, or more telephone lines coming into the house. These days, I have zero hard-lines. I just use a cellular phone for voice and a cable modem for data.

Every now and again I used to telnet to juge.com to check up on some of the FidoNET forums. That was a BBS in Houston (I think running Opus Maximus), but it seemed to disappear a couple of years ago.

I had a shock a couple of years ago, when I came across a website run my Mel Douglass in which he had posted a note that Ernest Debakey had passed away. That was quite sad to read. I believe he ran the BBS in Houston called "The Gavel" that hosted some of the best ANSI art on the planet.

After college, I worked at ExxonMobil for close to six years, then left that job to go work for one of my friends. The company was formed by Jeremy Mattern, a former GT Power sysop in Houston ("The Ultimate BBS"). Besides myself ("Tranquility Base"), two other GT Power sysops worked there too, Brian Wood ("Programmers Paradise"), and Ethan Brofman ("Radio Tower"). The company was very successful, Jeremy sold it, and went off to start other companies. I'm the only GT Power sysop still there, but it was really fun having four of them working in the same place for a short time. (The company develops software that is used by paramedics and ambulance crews to record all the treatments when they see patients so that it can be properly billed later.)

I tried to fire up some of my old equipment last year that would have had my various GT Power files on them, but the hard drives hadn't been used in so long that they wouldn't spin up. That was quite disappointing. So, unless I find some floppy disks with backup files on them, I've lost the source code to all the GT Power utilities I wrote, except for BGFAX. One day I hope to come across a fantastic find in a hidden directory somewhere of all the old code, but it seems to be come less likely every year.

Regards,
B.J. Guillot
bguillot
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:GTNET mail 9 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 1
BJ,

Great to see you here!

>I saw people mention BGNET earlier in the thread. I honestly can't remember
>what it did. I guess it was maybe an MDRIVER replacement, but can't say for
>sure.

It was a program that allowed sysops to participate in QWK networks. I still use it every day.

>I ran OS/2 for a while and had the BBS running on that. I believe there was a
>short period of time where people could actually telnet to bgfax.com to login
>to my BBS

If you were running OS/2, I am sure they could. I am running GT under OS/2 today for that reason. If it weren't for OS/2 & telnet, I might have closed down a long time ago.

>I had a shock a couple of years ago, when I came across a website run my
>Mel Douglass in which he had posted a note that Ernest Debakey had passed
>away. That was quite sad to read. I believe he ran the BBS in Houston called
>"The Gavel" that hosted some of the best ANSI art on the planet.

That is really sad. He used to run the ANSI art echo. He and Michael Arnett had a project called "Smile for Kids" (I think) where they "sold" an ANSI art display program and a ton of ANSI screens to raise money for a children's hospital (IIRC). Sorry to hear that he is gone.

Take Care!
Michael
Michael
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Hi, B.J.!!

Right now, my BBS is down while I continue to prepare the reconfiguration for GT for telnet. I've had to reconfigure everything for just C: drive (I originally had everything on a D: partition, but I'm on a different computer now). Tom hasn't given a timetable for the next beta (he has had a lot of overtime at his job), but I'll be glad to go back to my BBS roots, as it were, whenever it takes place.

Even though it may take a bit for GT under telnet to come out, I ran GT for dial-up for 13 years, and had switched to Synchronet then Virtual Advanced for telnet...but have since dropped both of those. I didn't like the HTML themes for Synchronet, and VA just crashed. So, GT has always been my favorite.

I don't remember if I have still have BGTOP or not...I switched to GTTOP for GT19 when I was still doing GT for dial-up. I had registered your BGQWK door, as well as the BGFAX program (before it became freeware), and converted the combined key to one for PDQWK that Paul Ratcliffe did. I really like the ease of QWK Mail with what was first BGQWK, then PDQWK...especially in selecting message areas, and how messages were to be in the QWK packets.

Good to type at you again.
Wx1der
Senior Boarder
graph

I was lucky enough to register that SmileDoor, and I still have it, with all the neat ANSI files. It is sad to hear that many of the original GT Sysops have passed away, but you have to pick up the pieces and go on. My wife, who was Co-Sysop on my BBS for several years, passed away in 2007...in fact, a week from Monday, it'll have been 2 years. We competed heavily against each other in the doorgames...and she made sure she was the first to logon after nightly maintenence was done!!
Wx1der
Senior Boarder
graph

BJ,

It is refreshing to see you here... I used BGFAX.. it is great program

regards,
William
masterchief
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:GTNET mail 8 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0
G'day BJ!

Yes, this certainly is nostalgic (especially at our age).

BGQWK was a utility I personally used for a QWK door I had set up for a feed to Lakenet (run by Anthony Trollope) back when some of us had such bridges to other networks for echomail.

I am also considering a return to this hobby via GT Power.
My last installation ran under GT Power 18.xx, I believe.

I will need to check old disks to see what I might still have in the way of setup files.

Other than that, what a nice way to touch base with some old friends.

I will send email off to Dave Richer (now residing in Bradenton FL) to let him know of this (GT) development.

TTY Sooner or Later,
Ted Arsovsky
GT Power Net
511/511
tedsky
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Tedsky

Re:GTNET mail 8 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0
Good morning all.

Hi BJ.

I kept 050/001 The BixBox in England running until a couple of years ago, but it is sitting there with its USR Courier and would possibly only need powering up again, although I am not sure if I recall my password...

I know a couple of the other UK SysOps carried on running for a fair while after the internet kicked in big time. BTW where can you get the latest version of ANSPAINT from? [grin]

Good to hear that there is a chance of getting back online although as already mentioned by others here dialup wouldn't be the best idea? I was surprised how long dial up connections kept going, I had Russians and Eastern European connecting long after the UK and EU went over to the internet. We used the BBS as a test when we were at a client's site if they had dialup. It would always be there and we could download utils from it.

Anyhow, happy days with the GT Community, I still have the GTPower mug that Bob Butcher brought back when he came out to one of the GTP conventions.

Best wishes from England - Terry
terryd
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re:GTNET mail 8 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 1
Ted,
Good to see you here. IIRC, you were one of my GT Netmail connects for a while. I am still running GT 19 with one dial-up line, and 2-3 telnet nodes up. I still get dial-up callers (once or twice a week), and maybe 1-or-2-a-day on telnet. I still have what is left of the network running here, although at the moment, I think it is just me left!

Terry,
Good to see you, too. I was "connecting" with Dave Liquorice via the Internet... I think I last received a bag from his system a year or two ago. I don't know about ANSIPAINT, but I think I have The Draw around here somewhere!

As mentioned above, I still have a dial-up connection, and it still gets some use. I was actually interviewed for a show on National Public Radio a few months back because I still had a dial-up BBS. And I do remember using the dial-up for work/testing purposes back when I had a job working on PCs (program on mainframes now!).
Michael
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 12
(C) Copyright 2008 by Tom Watt.