Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Beta Testers
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Beta Testers
Beta Testers 10 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi, Tom...

Please put me down as a beta tester...I still have the GT 19 package installed from when I ran it as a dial-up system. I just have to finish setting up the various directories, bulletins, screens, and control files.

I know you only have the source code to the main program and netmail suite, but am wondering if we'll still need to use third party utilities (that were specifically done for GT 19) to handle such things as doorgame dropfiles (DoorWorks)(I use either DORINFO.DEF or DOOR.SYS), plus FIDONet style netmail and echomail (FIDOGate along with a separate tosser).

Also, as per previous messages, I noted that the FILES_DB deal that Paul created for the file bases does NOT like the long filenames (more than 8 characters for the prefix). I think Paul Ratcliffe did a utility to adjust the date structures for Y2K issues in the message bases.

Concerning the doors, will there be a "comport emulator", so to speak, for the older legacy doors that weren't originally created with a fossil driver?? I know that comports are basically "ignored" under telnet, but unless these non-fossil doors can be "fooled" into thinking the data is on comport 1 (where it then can be run under telnet), that zaps a lot of doors over here.

For these non-fossil doors that I have right now with Virtual Advanced (I'll ultimately switch back to GT, my BBS roots), a workaround with VA creates a DORINFO1.DEF file with comport 0 (as if it was a local logon), then I use the DOORWAY program to have it echo out over the comport, and run it under telnet.

We'll worry about nodelists and echolists after the release. I can be reached at tboltbbs@aristotle.net -- although with an unsettled weather pattern here the next several days (we had thunderstorms earlier today), my BBS may be down more than usual for a bit...the email is quicker to get to me, anyway.

Daryl Stout, Sysop
The Thunderbolt BBS
Little Rock, Arkansas
GT Power 035/005
Wx1der
Senior Boarder
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Gender: Male The Thunderbolt A Weather Wonder wx1der wx1der Location: Little Rock, Arkansas Birthday: 03/22
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Daryl Stout, WX1DER, Sysop
The Thunderbolt BBS, Little Rock, Arkansas
We analyze data, forecasts, and text...
But wonder what weather will happen next.

Re:Beta Testers 10 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 1
I have all of the code that Paul had. The first release will mainly be changes under the hood to make it more portable. The features you are talking about are all high priority but not planned for the first release, except support by using existing software to make the system telnetable.

Plans for first release:

1. Telnet support using comport emulator
2. Remove registration system as it will be freeware
3. Re-organization of the release archive
4. Some other changes such as updated ANSI screens and other minor cosmetic changes

Thanks,

Tom
Neofree
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2008/10/05 01:37 By Neofree.

Re:Beta Testers 10 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0
Tom...

OK, no problem...I'll proceed with what I have, and look for the program to test it. I'm going to be tied up with personal family business much of October, so I may be delayed in responding, but I will get back to you.

Daryl
Wx1der
Senior Boarder
graph
Gender: Male The Thunderbolt A Weather Wonder wx1der wx1der Location: Little Rock, Arkansas Birthday: 03/22

Re:Beta Testers 10 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0
Tom...

A quick update on the door conversion deal...I discovered a freeware utility in my GT files area that converts GTUSER.BBS to either DOOR.SYS or DORINFO1.DEF -- so that eliminates the need for DoorWorks. I'll do some more looking and preconfiguration, after I get back from a trip to Denver, that I leave out on tonight. I will have a few days after I return before I go to Florida for a few days...then, that's all my traveling until next spring.

Daryl
Wx1der
Senior Boarder
graph

Go to topPage: 1
(C) Copyright 2008 by Tom Watt.